Shelf Life

29 09 2009

So, in reading a post recently from Brooklyn Limestone she was discussing styling a shelf.  She’s much more adapt to this than me and has the furniture to do serious styling with.  I, on the other hand, do not!  I have a Billy bookcase from Ikea and a bunch of books, but I thought I could give my shelf a little more style.  Below is a picture of the shelf before (really it didn’t look quite like this, I had just unpacked all my books, before I moved they were organized by author and size).

I decided that if I organized them by color that might be a bit more appealing.  I started by putting them in piles by the color of the binding and then putting them in order by size.  The books that were the hardest to place were my Harry Potter books since they use a ton of color in the illustrations that cover the binding (PS – I got these for a steal, the entire hard back set in perfect condition off Craigslist for $70!).  I ended up with something much more styled and fun than if I just organized them the way I had been.  I was pleased!

Here is a shot of the bookshelf after some free styling that didn’t take much time at all.  I also included a picture of a close up of the top two shelves – who knew I had so many red books???





Bathroom: Almost finished

21 09 2009

I promise to post some picture of the almost finished bathroom when it’s a little more finished.  All that is left now is to paint the door (which we plan to replace) and install shelving in the little alcove next to the shower.  We were going to just replace the track shelving that was in there, but I wanted it to look classier than that.  So we are thinking maybe a Billy bookcase from IKEA will do the trick, the only worry is that it’s not deep enough.  They are only 11″ deep and the alcove is deeper than that.  Maybe putting two in there with the shelves at the same height or finding a different solution altogether.  We shall see.  Billy is easy enough to put together that if it doesn’t work out, I can take apart and return.  I also plan to check out Craigslist to see if anyone is selling some used ones!

There is some minor tile repair to be done too in one of the corners so that is also on the list.  The last thing I want to do is get a new vanity, but that’s not really in the budget right now so it will have to wait!





First Project: Bathroom

7 09 2009

So I decided I would tackle the bathroom first since it’s the smallest room, I might actually be able to finish it and feel accomplished.  Since I was under contract on the house for so long I had started making decor plans before I even moved in.  I decided on a light blue with bright white trim with a black and white damask shower curtain.  I searched and searched and could not find a black and white damask curtain.   I can sew a straight line so I figured I could make one if I found a fabric I liked.  I ordered samples from Design Warehouse Fabrics:

fabrics

I ended up going with Traditions because I thought the smaller repeat might be a bit overwhelming in such a small space with a large curtain.  The fabric width was 54″ and I thought it would be too hard to match up the pattern to extend it to be wide enough for a shower curtain.  I ordered 5 yards ($6.98/yard) and now have a ton left over.  I opted to go for a solid black border on both sides.  I purchased a black cotton duck fabric from Walmart for $5 (2 yards) and used that to make edges.  I’m pleased with the way it turned out.  I also got to try out the buttonhole sewing foot on my machine – it worked like  a charm to create holes for the curtain rings…

Pictures are coming!